The Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) programme is a self- financed full time three year integrated degree programme affiliated to Goa University.
The Goa Vidyaprasarak Mandal is always eager to spread its wings in Higher Education with a view to give benefits to as wide section of society as possible. Hence the management put its step forward to offer a Bachelor in Computer Application (B.C.A) Course for students in and around Ponda with an aim to provide an opportunity for the students to choose a lucrative career in IT field. The College started BCA Course in 2002.
Human society has passed through ‘Green Revolution’, ‘Industrial Revolution’ and ‘Information Revolution’. Now it is entering into ‘Knowledge Revolution’. Education in general and ‘computer education’ in particular is gaining utmost importance in today’s knowledge society. Computer skills have become the life skills for everybody. For high productivity and better quality, many business houses, Government departments and industries are making extensive use of computers. Extensive manpower is required to handle and operate these computers. Thus, there is pressing demand of computer professionals to work at various levels in Information Technology (IT) industries. Highly skilled software professionals are required for nation building. They design and develop software products and systems. They are helpful in providing IT and IT enabled services. They carry out overseas projects and earn huge amounts of foreign exchange for the country. They become entrepreneurs and establish IT industries, which provide employment for a large number of people. The Goa Vidyaprasarak Mandal is always eager to spread its wings in Higher Education with a view to give benefits to as wide section of society as possible. Hence the management put its step forward to offer a Bachelor in Computer Application (B.C.A) Course for students in and around Ponda with an aim to provide an opportunity for the students to choose a lucrative career in IT field
a) To bring the BCA curriculum on par with the model curriculum recommended by the University Grants Commission
b) To impart quality education on par with international standards.
c) To offer new, relevant and need-based courses.
d) To inculcate in students, responsibility and self – discipline in the learning process.
e) To enable students to acquire specific skills in keeping with their area of study.
f) To make the evaluation system continuous and more objective.
g) To provide a choice to the students in choosing their courses.
After successful completion of the course , the student will be able to
a) Design Application as per need by using various technologies.
b)The ability and mindset to continues update with respect to latest technologies.
c)identify, formulate, review and analyze complex problems using various techniques.
OC-67.2.2 Eligibility for admission to Semester-III and Semester-IV:
(A) To be eligible for admission to Semester-I of the Three Years course leading to the Degree of Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA), the candidate should have passed:
- (i) The Higher Secondary School Certificate (Std. XII) examination conducted by the Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education in any stream, including the vocational stream in the subjects notified by the University from time to time.
- (ii) The Std XII or similar examination of another body equivalent to Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education, Goa and recognised as such by Goa University.
- (B) A candidate not covered under any of the above categories but desirous of seeking admission to the said course may apply to the College. However, the Registrar along with the Dean of the Faculty and the Chairperson of the Board of Studies shall decide the eligibility.
- (C) A candidate admitted to Semester-I shall be deemed eligible for admission to Semester-II.
- (D) A candidate migrating from another recognized University and desirous of direct admission to Semester-II may be considered for admission provided he/she has cleared/ passed Semester-I examination of that University with those subjects, under CBCS, for which admission is sought.
- (E) A candidate shall be selected based on an entrance test. The entrance test shall assess the general aptitude, logical reasoning and analytical abilities and basic arithmetical skills of the candidate.
OC-67.2.2 Eligibility for admission to Semester-III and Semester-IV:
- (A) A candidate who has requisite attendance for Semester-I and Semester-II and has attended minimum required ISAs of all the courses in Semesters I & II shall be eligible for admission to Semester-III.
- (B) A candidate migrating from any other recognized University may be considered for admission to Semester III provided:
- (C) A candidate admitted for Semester-III examination shall be deemed eligible for admission to Semester- IV.
- (D) A candidate from another recognized University may be considered for direct admission to Semester IV provided he/she fulfils the conditions specified at (B) (i) and (ii) above and, in addition has passed/ cleared Semester III/ First Term examination of the Second Year BCA of that University. However, the result of Semester IV shall be withheld if the candidate does not fulfill these conditions.
OC-67.2.3 Eligibility for admission to Semester-V:
- (A) A candidate who has been declared Passed in Semester I to Semester IV examinations shall be eligible for admission to Semester V.
- (B) A candidate admitted for Semester-V shall be deemed eligible for admission to Semester- VI.
- (C) A candidate migrating from any other recognized University may be considered for admission to Semester-V of the BCA Course provided:
OC-67.2.4 Eligibility for admission to Semester-VI:
- (A) A candidate already admitted for Semester-V shall be deemed eligible for admission to Semester-VI.
- (B) Direct admission to Semester-VI shall not be permitted.
OC-67.2.5 Class strength:
- Maximum number of students in a class/ division shall not exceed forty. For practical’s the batch size shall be up to a maximum of 20 per batch.
ELIGIBILITY FOR ADMISSION TO SEMESTER I AND SEMESTER II
- To be eligible for admission to Semester I of Three Years Course leading to the Degree of Bachelor of Computer Application the candidates should have passed.
- The Higher Secondary School certificate examination conducted by the Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education in any stream, Including vocational stream . OR
- The standard XII or similar examination of another body equivalent to Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education , Goa and recognized as such by Goa University.
- A candidate not covered under any of the above categories but desirous of seeking admission to the said course may apply to the college.However, the Registrar along with the Dean of the Faculty and the chairperson of the Board of Studies shall decide the eligibility.
- A candidate admitted to Semester I shall be deemed eligible for admission to semester II
- A Candidate migrating from another recognized University and desirous of Direct admission to Semester II may be considered for admission provided he/she has cleared /passed Semester I examination of that University with those subjects , under CBCS, for which admission is sought.
- A candidate shall be selected based on an entrance test.
Scheme of Examination
- The Evaluation of the course shall comprise of the Intra Semester Examination (ISA) and Semester End Examination(SEE).A student shall be required to appear for the ISA as well as SEE. There shall be an ISA for the practical component also.
- The ISA test shall carry 40% of the maximum marks allotted for the course and SEE shall carry 60% of the maximum marks.
- The marks for each credit shall be 25.Accordingly a 2 credit course will have 50 marks and a 4 credit course will have 100 marks.
- A course of 4 credit having only theory shall have ISA for 40 marks and SEE for 60 marks.
- A course of 2 credit having only practical shall have ISA for 20 marks and SEE for 30 marks.
- A course of 4 credits having theory and practical components shall also have ISA for total 40 marks and SEE for 60 marks. The ISA for the theory component shall be 15 marks and ISA for practical component shall be 25 marks. There will be separate SEE for practical component.
- Courses of any other number of credits shall have proportionate marktings
The afore-mentioned Degree Course shall have duration of three academic year.Every academic year shall consist of two Semesters.
Workshops are organised every year by inviting speakers from Industries & Academics. Some of the Workshops, guest lectures and certificate courses held in the Past are :
1.object oriented programming & embedded systems.
2.Android programming & Agile Methodologies.
3.Virtualization & Cloud Computing.
4. Career Guidance.
5.Recent Trends & Opportunities in IT-sector Android Programming.
6.Personality Development Programme
8. Are you Industry ready?
10.Current I.T. Scenario in Goa.
a)Building quality assured software products.
b) E – Commerce – what is in store & where are you?
c)HRM – An Industry perspective.
d)Threats in digital world.
e) Cyber security
i)PHP & HTML 5.
ii) Web development using PYTHON.
iii)3 Months certificate course Python with Django
iv)Speech express certificate course in english (3 months course)
v) Digital marketing course (3 months course)
During lockdown BCA Department of College conucted a webinar lecture series th ndfrom industry experts from 15 May 2020 to 22 May 2020 for the student community across Goa. We got 54 registration from students of our College, Damodar College Margao, Don Bosco College Panaji,Dms College Aasgao. Theme of the webinar lecture series was “Effective & efficient learning in the age of corona.” Sessions conducted are as follows –
15 may 2020 vincent Toscano – CEO & cofounder of Uzoorba technology talked on ” Basics that undo great programmers“
16 may 2020 Milind Anvekar – Vice president of open Destination & Vice president of GTA, Talked on ” Covid 19 impact & lessons learned“
18 may 2020 Anay kamat – mobile practice lead at Equal Experts india talked on “Usage of IT Applications in lockdown“
19 may 2020 Nikhil Malagi Director of Bhalchandra Technologies Talked on “Ethical Hacking“.
20 may 2020 Prajyot Mainkar – CEO of Androcid talked on ” understanding elite performance for producing creativity“.
Pranav Pai Vernekar – CEO of Bolt IOT sent his prerecorded video for Webinar, ” IOT & Machine learning“
21 may 2020 Venkat Reddy CEO & Data Scientist of statinfer Technology Vijaywada, Andra Pradesh talked on “introduction to AI & machine learning
22 may 2020 Mangirish Salelkar CEO of Umang Software & Director of GTA, talked on Goan IT industry fight lockdown & plan to bounce back.
On 15 may 2020 BCA Department organized a session for staff on cyber security by Dr Harold D’costa President of Cyber Security co-operation & CEO of intellegent Quotient security system. He talked on cyber crime during corona Virus era – Prevention & Protection.
Department of Computer Applications organized a talk on 31st August 2019 on How to conceptualize tech enabled services /product oriented startup? Resource person were Mr. Inacio Fernadese, Founder and CEO of Criador Solutions. Idea behind organizing such talk was as now a days people shift from Job Oriented perspective to start their own firm using the idea which they have, Department organized 2 hours interactive session for B.C.A. students.
On behalf of the Department of Computer Applications, Assistant Professor, Shri. Sameer Patil took the initiative to invite Mr. Inacio Fernandes , to address the students on implementation of how to start your own business with respect to Information Technology. In audience for the session were the B.C.A. students and faculty of the Department of Computer Application.
Mr. Inacio in his talk, discussed about how to start the startup , Idea behind to start the startup.Later he discuss about Product based and Service based startup. He created a 4 group of students with 5 members each , to think about Startup idea. He discussed within a group with respect to idea and later told two of members to present the idea infront of crowd.
Mr. Inaciao also mentioned about skill based education required for the students , and how students should grab it of their own willing. The session was very informative and provided the audience with all the answers to each of their questions. Student Miss Gauravi Kantak compared the session and proposed the vote of thanks.
Department of Computer Applications organized a Workshop on 27th September 2019 on MVC ARCHITECTURE Resource person were Mr. Venkatesh Prabhu, Advisor of Thyway Creation and Phd Scholar from Computer Science Department Goa University. Idea behind organizing such workshop was User interaction enables use cases which would be impossible with only a statically loaded page. This is why, in modern web development, it is important to understand how dynamic pages are created. Perhaps the key to this is familiarity with the MVC architectural pattern.
On behalf of the Department of Computer Applications, Assistant Professor, Shri. Sameer Patil took the initiative to invite Mr. Venkatesh Prabhu , to address the students on implementation MVC ARCHIECTURE . In audience for the session were the T.Y.B.C.A. students and faculty of the Department of Computer Application.
At the beginning of the workshop Venkatesh Prabhu split the Students in group of 3 each and later he started with his workshop by planning why mvc essential in web development and how basically Model View Controller works and what’s the concept behind it.He explain it in very broad way to the audience with example and told students to make a Aeroplane and Boat with the help of paper provided them by resource person.Later he deals with the explain the stuff I programmatically how its easier to follow MVC Architecture , for the same he given task for students to create 2 pages with database connectivity in 30 mins and once students task over he started his programing session with students and explain each and every aspect in detail manner regarding MVC.Students also enjoy his way of delivering the workshop and many interaction took place, students ask queries and he solve that accordingly . He explain normally pages should divide with 3 pages namely Model , View and Controller and he also explain Project structure is also very important in mvc pattern to follow. Post lunch he did menu creation and template creation and explain how MVC pattern useful for big projects. Told Students practices required for programing and u cant skip programing , rather enjoy programing .
Idea Connect Code Present on this theme Mini Hackathon Conducted for TYBCA Students as part of web technology lab on Friday and Saturday ie on 4th and 5th October 2019, 9.30am till 4.30 pm.(full day coding)
Department of Computer Applications organized a Session on 18th Decemeber 2019 on Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Resource person were Mr. Venkata Reddy,Cofounder of Statinfer Company Vijaywada Andra Pradesh. Idea behind to organize such session to get idea of machine learning and its application , and also enhance the knowledge of students in the respective domain.
On behalf of the Department of Computer Applications, Assistant Professor, Shri. Sameer Patil took the initiative to organize the session for the students. In audience for the session were the B.C.A. students and faculty of the Department of Computer Application.
At the beginning of the session , Venkata Reddy give the brief idea of machine learning and AI. He demonstrate with real time examples to students on the concepts. He demonstrate how the face recognize carried out with respect to machine learning . He also mention the Future scope of machine learning and what are the things need to carry out to get the job in Information Technology in Data Science world. It was totally interactive session with students .
Rohir Naik and his colleague from coderix Ponda on 18th Dec 2019, took a session on Digital Marketing and web development for the BCA students .